Specialist placement of Sibling Groups
When sibling groups are placed in foster care it can become a challenge for Local Authority to keep them together. However, it is very impotant to keep the children together given their potential relationships with each other, support they may provide each other and their shared experiences.
We are seeing an increasing need for foster homes for sibling groups and also seeing a greater number of younger children being referred to us. "Younger" includes babies and under fives.
Planning for Sibling Groups
Fostering multiple children can be a challenge for even the most experienced carers. Challenges may include:
- Space at your home
- Financial budgets
- Transportation to school, contact and other activities
- Cooking for a larger group
- Keeping children occupied
- Sleeping arrangements
We understand the challenges presented by sibling groups and have tailored our support and service accordingly. We will assist by:
- Providing extensive training
- Help plan for sibling groups through your approval process
- Provide additional support or transport where needed (agreed by the Local Authority)
- Assist with providing activities
- Allocate a dedicated social worker with experience of sibling groups
- Pay competitive allowances to cover higher costs
Sibling groups can of course be very challenging but are equally rewarding when positive outcomes are achieved. Our specialist services for sibling groups aim to help to achieve this.
LIKE TO KNOW?